A homemaking definition, what a homemaker is, some of their responsibilities, and more!
Homemaking is defined as home making. It is the making of a house into a home.
This is done by creating an atmosphere that brings peace and a sense of flourishing to all who live there and all who enter.
It is not only talking about the atmosphere though. There is also the nitty gritty of the management of a household and upkeep. If the homemaker is also a mom, than there is also the upbringing of the children that is part of homemaking.
Homemaking looks differently for everyone though because we are all different people created with unique tastes, personality, and different lives.
The best way to understand the basics of homemaking is to take a look at homemakers.
What is a homemaker?
A homemaker is someone who could be a stay-at-home mom (SAHM) or mom who works full time. It could even be a wife who has no children or who are already grown. Even single women who have their own home and cultivate it even though they are not married are homemakers.
A successful homemaker is a woman who creates a place that is inviting and beautiful through all five senses: see, taste, feel, smell, and touch.
What people see also effect how they feel and what they remember. Having a clean, organized space where people can gather can go along way towards a pleasant experience even if your budget does not allow you to create the beauty that you desire.
Food and drinks are always a part of fellowship of any kind. Remember your grandma who always had cookies or some tea/coffee ready for anyone who drop by? Taking the time to make simple delicious snacks and nutritious meals or refreshing beverages can add a lot to a memorable time.
Quiet rooms with soft music playing are life giving to people who are constantly bombarded with chaos and noise. A gentle spirit and a sweet smile always helps the home feel peaceful, too.
Diffusing some essential oils, cooking something on the stove or in the oven, or even simply opening the windows are easy ways to help a room smell fresh and good. Fresh flowers are a beautiful touch and scent a room nicely, too.
Children especially need the loving touch of their mom. Hugs and kisses, baby wearing with infants, cuddle time on the couch during story time with the toddlers, etc.
What are 10 Responsibilities of a Homemaker?
Being a homemaker is a demanding job with lots of household chores that requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and a few homemaking skills. However, it is also a rewarding job that provides a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment. By taking care of the household, a homemaker can provide a place of comfort and love for their family.
Here is a list of things a homemaker does in household management.
- Cook and meal planning – There is a ton of meal plans out there, and honestly, my meal planning looks like choosing what we are going to eat the day of. It has taken me a while to come terms with the fact that it is okay if you don’t meal plan like everyone else. I just thought I would share that because I needed someone else to tell me that is was okay. Some of us do better with a more tentative plan and that’s okay.
- Organize and clean house – Don’t stress over this area. Do what you can when you can. Relationships are more important than a completely clean house.
- Laundry and ironing of clothes – Here are some of my tips that have helped me be less stressed in this area.
- Grocery shopping and running errands – Enjoy the break from the house and make use of delivery if it would save some time and tears. Some days you just can’t do it all.
- Budgeting and managing household finances – It’s okay if your man takes care of this instead of you. It isn’t absolutely necessary that you do it.
- Childcare and parenting responsibilities – Love the time that you get with your littles! They grow so fast!
- Home decorating and interior design – This used to stress me out because I had no idea what I was doing, but now I am loving the adventure of learning what I like and what looks good in my home.
- Maintaining household appliances and equipment – Keeping things clean helps them look better and last longer.
- Planning and hosting family gatherings and events – There are seasons of being more hospitable and other seasons when a break from socializing is actually healthy. No matter what season you are in, embrace it and enjoy it!
- Gardening and maintaining the outdoor space – It doesn’t have to be glorious from day one or you would never learn anything. Love the journey of sowing and reaping however little the harvest may be.
Does a Homemaker Count as a Job?
The answer to this question may vary depending on who you ask. Some people believe that being a homemaker, or someone who manages a household and cares for family members, is a full-time job and should be recognized as such. Others may argue that it is not a job in the traditional sense as it does not provide a salary or benefits.
It is important to note that being a homemaker requires a significant amount of time and effort. Homemakers are responsible for tasks like meal planning and decorating and also more strenuous tasks such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, and childcare. They may also manage household finances and make important decisions related to the household.
Despite the hard work and dedication required to be a homemaker, it is not typically recognized as a formal job. This is because it is not a paid position and does not provide benefits such as health insurance or retirement savings. However, many people still consider being a homemaker as a full-time job and believe that it should be valued and respected just like any other profession.
I believe, it is a full time job and viewing it that way may help structure your days and help them feel less chaotic.
Homemaking is one of my favorite things! It is actually a dream come true for me.
I always knew I wanted to stay home with my children and create a beautiful space worth sharing with others. Currently, I’m learning to garden although I did quite a bit of gardening growing up, it was in the tropics with different seasons and different climate. It feels like I’m starting from scratch, but it is still so much fun!!
Thank you for letting me share a few of my thoughts on the definition of homemaking! If you would like to know more or want additional information, here are some homemaking tips, a practical homemaking guide, and how to be more efficient as a homemaker!
Also, here is a list of 21 Homemaking Blogs so you can connect with other homemakers!