A tasty and refreshing adrenal cocktail recipe to reduce stress
Let me introduce you to a sweet and salty cup of goodness that is easy to make and that will relieve stress. It’s healthy and it’s easy.
This drink has played a critical role in my own journey to improve my health. Several years ago, I became gluten intolerant and developed a rash on my face known as Rosacea. In searching for truth about what is going on inside, I have stumbled across some goodness that I want to share with you. It’s called the adrenal cocktail.
What is an adrenal cocktail?
Adrenal cocktail is a non-alcoholic drink that is full of electrolytes and minerals. Not only is it tasty and refreshing it helps reduce chronic stress and anxiety by supporting your hormones. You see, when you are stressed, the stress hormone cortisol goes up, and in order to bring it back down or balance it, you need something salty and sweet.
Have you ever been stressed so you ate some chocolate and it made you feel better? This is the same concept. The glucose from the sugar and the sodium from the salt brought down your cortisol levels. It counteracted the stress hormones.
The adrenal cocktail works in a similar way. Your blood sugar levels and sodium levels go up to bring down that stress. This makes you feel balanced and a whole lot better.
Adrenal cocktails are a very big part of what is called pro-metabolic living. This essentially is eating in a way that supports all your bodies functions. It addresses stress, lack of energy, food sensitivities, skin issues, and much more. (If you haven’t heard about it, check this article out.)
Why should I drink adrenal cocktails?
This delicious drink will help in times of stress. What mom out there does not have stressful situations? From chasing kids around all day and waking up in the night to feed the baby, mom’s and women in general could really benefit from the essential nutrients in this drink. If nothings else, just managing your stress can help your overall health.
When should I drink adrenal cocktails?
The best time for this drink is in the middle of the morning or the middle in the afternoon on a regular basis. This falls right in between your meals and is the times of day when your body needs a little boost. It has used up the energy from your last meal but you still have a couple more hours before the next meal.
Having this drink around 2 or 3 is an easy way to replace that second cup of coffee with nutrient-dense carbohydrates.
If you struggle with waking up in the night, a basic variation of this drink is good to have beside your bed. It is said that cortisol is what wakes us up in the morning, so if you’re waking up in the middle of the night it’s cortisol that is waking you up as well. The best way to bring that hormone level down is to drink a little bit of this magic potion. It will calm you and help you fall back asleep faster.
I used to wake up a lot in the night and think I was hungry, but when I would go get a snack, the additional little food in my system would actually keep me awake even though it made me feel better for a little bit. That is why I switched to having a cup of this on my nightstand. It helps balance blood sugar in the middle of the night better than a snack will.
Can I drink adrenal cocktails every day?
Absolutely! If you use high quality ingredients, there’s nothing in this healthy drink that will keep you from adding it to your daily routine. More than one a day is acceptable, too. Experiment to find what works best for you. Be aware that this drink is not an acceptable meal replacement. It helps by addressing your electrolyte imbalance, but it is not a balanced meal.
Can I make adrenal cocktails ahead of time?
Yes, you can. If you need to save a little time, make a batch. It will keep in the fridge for four or five days. If you add milk or heavy cream to your batch, just know that it will separate. This doesn’t mean it has gone bad. It just needs to be mixed back in.
How to make an adrenal cocktail?
Single Portion Recipe
- Organic orange juice – Juice is a good carbohydrate source so any citrus juice will do. This is where you get the natural sugar to help relieve stress and support your adrenals. Orange juice seems to be the favorite, but lemon or lime work good, too. If you have the time, fresh orange juice is the best, but it can also not be as affordable to do all the time. Buying prepackaged or store-bought juice is easier on the budget. Just make sure that the juice is the only ingredient, that it does not include any added sugars or ascorbic acid, and that it’s not from concentrate.
- Water – Good old plain water is definitely the most affordable. If you would like to add extra electrolytes, then Coconut water is what you want.
- Salt – A pinch of salt adds sodium to help bring that cortisol down. Do not use iodized table salt. It is not the best quality. What you want is Himalayan salt or sea salt.
- Fill up your glass halfway with water.
- Top it off with the juice till the glass is full.
- Add a pinch of good quality salt and stir until the salt is dissolved.
- Enjoy it slowly! Try not to gulp it down. Your body will absorb it better if you just sip it.
Add extra electrolytes and trace minerals to make it increase the benefits.
- Aloe Vera Juice – Add a tablespoon or so
- Cream of Tartar – A pinch of this will add a little bit of potassium.
- Coconut Cream – A small amount of coconut cream or even regular cream can really take it up a notch.
- Magnesium Powder – You only need a little bit because it will go along way.
- Collagen Peptides – A scoop of this adds protein.
Sometimes it can get a little boring drinking the same thing, so here are a few other common ingredients to switch it up.
- Milk – Substitute the water for milk. This combination is more of a orange creamsicle twist and adds calcium and protein.
- Coconut Water – Substitute for the water.
- Lemon Juice – Substitute the juice of half a lemon for the orange juice.
- Lime Juice – A great alternative for the OJ
- Keep a glass of a little bit of juice with a pinch of salt mixed in next to your bed if you struggle with waking up in the night. A sip or two of this works magic to lower that cortisol and balance your blood sugar to help you fall back asleep faster.
- An adrenal cocktail or orange juice by itself first thing in the morning makes for a fantastic start to the day. Sip it while making breakfast and enjoy a better response to that stress!
- You can mineralize your water with essential vitamins to make it easier to absorb by adjusting the recipe for the adrenal cocktail to more of a flavoring. Fill up your glass with water then add a pinch of salt. Add a little bit juice so that it doesn’t taste like you are drinking the ocean. This will help boost your electrolyte levels.
- Orange Juice
- Add 3/4 cup water to your glass.
- Add 3/4 cup orange juice.
- Add a pinch of sea salt.
- Stir well to dissolve the salt.
- Add ice or enjoy sipping it as is.
- Keep a glass of a little bit of juice with a pinch of salt mixed in next to your bed if you struggle with waking up in the night. A sip or two of this works magic to lower that cortisol and balance your blood sugar making help you fall back asleep faster.
- An adrenal cocktail or orange juice by itself first thing in the morning gives a fantastic start to the day. Sip it while making breakfast and enjoy the boost to your energy levels.
- You can mineralize your water to make it easier to absorb by adjusting the recipe for the adrenal cocktail to more of a flavoring. Here's what I mean. Fill up your glass with water then add a pinch of salt. I also add a little bit of orange or unfiltered apple juice so that I am not drinking just salt water. This helps me stay more hydrated and and not feel water logged from drinking too much water.
If you try this adrenal cocktail and it helps you, please leave a comment below. It would make my day to know that I’ve helped someone out.
Don’t keep this goodness to yourself either. We moms need all the help we can get so go share it with a friend.